SPONSOR LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION for Baptism or Confirmation
SPONSORS: Requests for sponsor eligibility are considered only for those who regularly and actively practice their faith and are in good standing with the Church. Letters will be issued only to practicing parishioners who fulfill the following guidelines:
BAPTISM: there is to be a male and female Godparent/Sponsor. One must be Catholic. Both must be baptized.
CONFIRMATION: one Catholic sponsor is required.
For any Catholic to serve as a sponsor for either Baptism or Confirmation, the following requirements must be satisfied:
- A practicing Catholic in good standing and at least 16 years old
- Registered in the parish for at least three months
- Received the three Sacraments of Initiation: Baptism, Confirmation, and Eucharist
- Participate regularly in Mass on Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation and receive the sacraments of Penance and Holy Communion
- Strive to live out your commitment to Christ and support the community life of the Church
- If married, it must be in a sacramental marriage blessed by the Catholic Church (married by a priest or with the proper Church dispensation and not having violated the marriage laws of the Church; not living in cohabitation)
- Parent may not serve as a sponsor of their own children
- Intend to help the baptized/confirmed live the Christian life
- Not having left the Catholic Church (Someone who has left the Catholic Church and joined another Christian communion cannot serve as a Godparent/Sponsor for a sacrament in the Catholic Church.)